We don’t care whether you eat them yourself, or package them up to give to your mates. Either way they are delicious and they’ll make someone very happy. Fact.
Here’s how they’re done.
Biscuits 1 and ¾ cups of plain flour ? cup of unsweetened cocoa powder ½ cup of dark chocolate, chopped ¼ cup of good quality chocolate chips 1 teaspoon of salt 1 egg 1 cup of unsalted butter ½ cup of cane sugar 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Topping ½ cup of good quality chocolate chips ½ teaspoon of peppermint extract A couple of candy canes, smashed
1. Preheat the oven to 175 degrees celcius. In a bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder and salt.
2. On a low heat, melt the dark chocolate and the chocolate chips in the microwave. Stir and then set aside to cool down a little.
3. With an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until it’s fluffy. And the egg and vanilla and beat until just combined. Then add the melted chocolate and beat until just incorporated.
4. Slowly add the flour and cocoa mixture into the chocolate bowl, beating it on a low speed. Put the whole lot in the fridge for half an hour and go and relax.
5. Line your baking trays with paper. Scoop up mixture into small balls and put on the tray. Press down on the middle of it to make a thumbprint indentation.
6. Bake the cookies for 12-14 minutes or until dry on top. Transfer them to cooling racks.
7. To make the topping, melt the chocolate on a low heat in the microwave. Add the peppermint extract.
8. When the biscuits are cool, add a blob of chocolate on top and then a sprinkling of the crushed candy canes.
9. Eat all of them before anyone else can get to them.
Got a favourite Christmas recipe? Let us know in the comments below! Or better yet, send us a package. Yum.
by Gemma Maddock